SMP 81: Freedom Through Movement
Welcome to Strength Matters episode 81. Today we are talking with Mike Fitch, the Founder and President of Global Bodyweight Training. Mike has created multiple bodyweight training programs, including the GBT Progressive Bodyweight System and the Animal Flow Workout.
He has a background in personal training and fitness management. He has trained in multiple disciplines fusing together different training styles including Olympic lifts, speed and agility training, and kettlebell training. He is also a Master Trainer for Equinox Fitness Training Institute and teaches anatomy, physiology, and biomechanics to his fellow trainers.
Today’s topics include:
- Mike started out as a skateboarder and snowboarder because he loved to move
- He did weight training with his Dad and that always made him feel good
- The accumulation of wear and tear on his body during traditional training was starting to take it’s toll
- We only have one body, Mike wanted to experience life to the fullest for many years to come by being fit without added strain and wear and tear
- Mike started gymnastics when he was 30 years old, and it opened the gateway to parkour and freerunning which brought back the freedom of expression
- Mike also got into break dancing. He learned so much about movement windows, moving through space
- “You have to suffer through the structure to conquer the chaos” the freedom of automatic movement
- Mike Fitch “Mitch” makes Animal Flow look fun, he is a very strong guy with fluid movement
- There is a huge emphasis on movement and bodyweight training as if it is a new thing, all programs work for somebody, and you can’t take ownership of movement
- Six components of Animal Flow
- Wrist mobilization – warming up and allowing the wrist to adapt
- Activations – Static positions made more challenging by lifting off of the ground – static beast and static crab – connects sensory receptors
- Form specific stretches – crab reach, ape reach, beast reach
- Traveling forms – ABCs of animal movements – Ape, Beast and Crab
- Switches and Transitions – One movement flows into another movement
- Flow – Brings all of the components together
- The language is universal – DJ of movement – same terminology
- While you are in your body, learn how it works and how to use it
Links and resources:
“I was constantly using myself as an experiment” Mike Fitch
“I loved the expression and freedom of being a skateboarder” Mike Fitch
“I am training because I want to be better in my body for many years to come” Mike Fitch
Check out our website https://strengthmatters.com/. From there you can access our media section and find out about our workshops and events.
Remember to take photos of yourselves doing whatever you’re doing while listening in to the Strength Matters Podcast! Upload to Instagram, Twitter & Facebook with the #strength matters #kettlebell fever #made for life for your chance to win great prizes.
Thanks again for your support, we hope you enjoyed the show, and look out for another show next week.